Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Yes, I really am...

an old man.  Let me explain one reason why this is so.  Let's go back about a week or so.  I look out the back door towards the bird feeder in the backyard.  "What's that bird out there?!"  According to my handy dandy "Birds of Georgia" book that I got at Christmas from the in-laws, it looked like an American Gold Finch.  So, I made my way to Lowe's one day during lunch and picked up a new feeder and some Thistle seed for my new backyard inhabitants.  Well, this past Sunday, I was piddling around the house, hoping not to get called in on emergency when I look outside at the feeders.  There are about a dozen gold finches stuffing themselves with food.



I was so excited.  Amanda thinks I'm such a nerd to get excited over birds, but I just enjoy having them around the house, especially the pretty ones.

Fast forward a few days.  I'm drinking my coffee, like an old man, getting ready to let the dogs out to use the bathroom and make their rounds through the yard.  This is when I notice a whole slew of birds on the feeders and all over the ground.  At first I thought it was just a bunch of house sparrows which aren't really all that exciting because they are everywhere.  BUT, turns out, they were all gold finches.  I lost count at 25.  They had cleaned out both feeders, so I had go fill 'em up.  Within 10 minutes, they were back, along with a handful of sparrows and two doves.  I was pretty thrilled.

So there you have it.  Reason #1 why I'm really an old man.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Marshall Moore, how dare you be out here blogging on the DL. Don't you even want some comments or something?? I can't believe the sleuthing I had to do to find this thing.

Anyway. You are totally an old man for getting excited about birds. I spend more time thinking about how to keep birds OUT of my yard. So far my best method has been convincing my cat to stick around the yard. And now he has a girlfriend or something, so 2 cats is better than one, right? (Don't worry, he's neutered)

Marshall said...

I wanted to see if I would actually keep it up. You could see the blog from Amanda's blog, so it's not like I was totally hiding it...gosh...

Post a Comment